Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Got Milk?

Hello everyone! I am back from Korea and enjoyed a relaxing weekend up in the mountains with Scott, Lukas, and my parents and brother. It was great! My reunion with Lukas was also so wonderful. I left the airport and picked him up at his day care, and when I opened his door, he saw me, made a big noise and then just crawled as fast as he could to get to me. We hugged for a long time and then he just grabbed my face with both of his little hands and stared at me smiling. Heaven. It was just so nice to be home again. I had a great time in Korea, but I was very glad to come back. ANd I was so grateful to Scott and his parents for taking care of things so well while I was away, especially Scott. He basically had to take care of Lukas and singlehandedly pack us all up for our trip to the mountains- he is awesome.

The past week has been pretty relaxing by comparison, but poor Scott is on his own again while I am in Wisconsin. He truly is SuperDad. The saga lately in our home has been that Lukas just can't ingest whole milk without some sort of massive vomiting incident, so we are doing the soy milk thing for now. Buying a carton is actually a relief compared to the cost of the soy formula, so I am happy about that! The whole milk thing reminds me of a story my friend Erica likes to tell at a biology class we teach at my work. Essentially, it is a story about how the "Milk- it does a body good campaign" is really only applicable to a very limited group of people since about 80% of the world is lactose intolerant! Apparently, the US learned this the hard way many years ago when they sent powdered milk to Africa for famine relief. So we sent something that would cause bloating, vomiting, and diarrhea to a group of people who were already starving. Oops! I guess the African people involved figured it out pretty quickly because they ended up just using the powdered milk to make white paint for their houses. So I guess Lukas is with the majority of the world at the moment in thinking this cow's milk stuff is pretty gross.

Speaking of cows, our team here ate at a self-grilling restaurant tonight. You walk up to a big cooler, pick out your steak, and grill it yourself on a huge grill. It was fun as a team event, but I remember thinking that if it were my own money, I probably wouldn't pay someone so that I could end up cooking my own food at the restaurant. Sort of defeats the purpose of going out to me, but hey, to each his own. Enough ramblings for now- here are some photos to enjoy. Some are from Korea, some are from the mountains, and some are from the house last weekend where Lukas was the captain of his little boat. Goodnight all!












No comments: