Friday, September 26, 2008

It's Football Time in Tennessee...


... Florida Football, that is.

That's the way UT Vols announcer John Ward starts every Tennessee football broadcast. I figure if we own the Vols I can start this blog however I like.

If you haven't guessed already I made the roadie to Knoxville with my good buddies Ben H. and Scott S. This is/was the beginning of a super-sweet rotating "College Football Guys Weekend" (not to be confused with "Gator Football Guys Weekend" a wholly separate and equally awesome trip) where Ben comes out to a UF game and I go to a UW game on a rotating basis. Here's a recap:

Ben got into town on Thursday night and Friday we observed what my cousin Brad likes to call a Scott Martin Day. We started with some wake boarding courtesy of our friend Jonathan. I once again proved to Ben "If I can see it. I can ski it." While this is absolutely true, sadly, I can't do much else. As evidenced by this video:

I'm awesome aren't I? Ben, however, showed considerable skill in almost learning how to flip after about three tries. Why is that? All together now, his deal with the devil.



All this came at a price. Advil - the last refuge of guys in their early thirty's who can't come to grips with the fact that we don't heal as fast as we used to.

And if you thought it couldn't get any better...

After wake boarding we went to Sweetwater Brewery and enjoyed their "tour". And by tour I mean we drank and fair amount of beer for $8. If you're ever in town you should check it out.




And if you thought it couldn't get any better than that...

After quenching our thirsts at Sweetwater we headed to what I believe is the finest BBQ in the ATL - Swallow at the Hollow. Here I learned something very interesting about myself. After a certain number of adult beverages (fewer than I care to admit) my "I'm full" switch turns off. I ate about 10 biscuits (the best I've ever had) and a ridiculous amount of porcine goodness. You won't find any pictures chronicling this because no one should have to see that - ever.

And if you still thought it couldn't get any better...

Ben and I rose at the crack of 7:45. Ben with twin 4 year olds (shouts out C & E) and me with Lukas this reminded us of sleeping till dang near 1pm. Anyone remember that? If you can, get a job hippie. Where was I? Oh yes. We loaded the Prius and lit out for Knoxville and thus began a three hour debate over whether a blowout could be a good game. If you're a Gator and you're reading this you know the answer is an emphatic YES. Meanwhile, in Winston Salem, the Snowman lit out for Knoxville as well. We arrived in Knoxville at 11:30am (8:30PST).

Let me first say a few words about Knoxville. It's a craphole. If you've ever been there you know what I'm talking about. They had the 1982 World's Fair there and it's been all downhill since. I'm not saying it's not a nice place, well, yes I am.


However, the football atmosphere was awesome. We were able to meet up with Mark and a few of his buddies before and we tailgated. BTW, Mark has this friend named Bryce who knows more about Gator Football than anyone on the planet not named Norm Carlson. UF should put this guy on the payroll just in case something happens to the record books. Ben, Scott S. and he threw the football for a while and after ruining the hoods of three cars decided, rather hastily, that it was time to head over to the stadium.


Neyland Stadium is an impressive place. In a league where most stadiums seat 90,000 this place is mamouth. Tennessee has many traditions: The Power T, checkerboard endzones, the Vol Navy, and Rocky Top to name a few. I have to admit it was cool to see some of that in person. I would also like to add that I don't think Doug Dickey's momma even liked him.



Back to the game. I can't tell you how many UT fans I spoken to about this place but it always goes like this:

VOL Fan (in a Luther Ogle voice): "Can't beat Tennessee Football, man. Smokey, the Power T, Peyton Manning, blah, blah."

ME: "Whatever, dude."

VOL Fan: "Neyland Stadium. One-hunnert n four thousand baby! The loudest place in the nation!"

ME: "Not when the Gators are there."


All that being said, we won handily (a blowout that was also a good game) and a good time was had by all.

I posted this last picture because 1.) It's awesome - I'm trying to remember what was so important I couldn't go see Skynyrd in the Swamp and 2.) Bryce started a rant about how much he loved the Gators and it got me thinking. I was taking a dude who gave me a place to stay when my family was 2500miles away (ever heard my homeless story?) to his first Gator game with another whose family took me to mine. It was awesome then and it's awesome now. Going to see the Gators play is always a bright spot in my year not only because of the game but because of the folks I get to hang out with when I'm there and I'm glad I got to share that.

Bryce said it best, "The Gators are family, man."

Mighty right, Bryce. Mighty right.

Go Gators!

No comments: