Saturday, January 10, 2009

Clean Up on Kayak 12

Today started out with an exciting trip to REI, a great place to shop. Lukas loves it there- loves to climb in and out of kayaks, play in the tents, tries to sit on EVERY bike, basically runs around ecstatic for about an hour. Today we were going there because I am off to the frozen tundra of Wisconsin where the HIGH temperature will hover somewhere around zero next week. I was hoping to score a great deal on a coat since right now there is an additional 50% off "super" clearance merchandise.

While Scott took Mr. Lukas around to have some fun, I made my way to the sale racks with strategic precision. I wasted no time on the non-sale racks and went straight for the clearance. Unbelievably, I found a black North Face Metropolis down parka on that rack. What a find- I couldn't believe my good luck! As I rushed back to show Scott, he pointed out that only things ending in .83 are "super clearance" that receive the additional 50% and mine ended in .93! Rats! I headed to the customer service desk just to be sure there wasn't some terrible error that would keep me from having this coat!

My friend MB's friend Jessie works at this REI, so I was happy to see her and have her tell me how this was all a big mistake. Only when she looked it up, it really wasn't on super clearance. Oh well- easy come easy go. While she was looking into some other coat options for me, Lukas and Scott came walking up. I picked up Lukas, who was fussy all morning and wouldn't eat much, and he suddenly just laid his head on my shoulder and got really heavy. I thought, "This poor kid must be tired!" And then that's when the puking started. He puked EVERYWHERE, especially all over me. Did I mention that I was standing at the customer service counter, where people have to stand if they want help? Good times. Poor Lukas was so sick and there we all were with throw up all over the floor, his clothes, my clothes...you can imagine my horror.

Here is why I love REI though and why you should too- I guess I always imagined that a scenario like that would end with mean glares from the staff and a "don't ever let her shop here again" look between the managers. Jessie and the staff at REI just made it all ok- in a second, there were several employees asking about Lukas, asking what they could do for us, getting us wet paper towels, a shopping bag for the soiled clothes, etc. When I went into the bathroom with Lukas, one of the staff members came in and even offered to get Lukas a soft drink to help his tummy. By the time I came back out, everything was cleaned up, we had a coke waiting, and everyone was ready to help us in whatever way they could. I was so grateful and just wanted to share this story for all of the other parents with young kids out there who sometimes need to believe in the grace of others. Thank you REI Perimeter!!!

On a side note, I am still jacketless, and will likely freeze to death next week. But I still love REI (even though their clearance rack and super clearance rack have poor differentiation). Good night!

No comments: