Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Let that be enough

If any of you are experts in Scott trivia you know a few things about me that many do not. For instance, you know I was homeless for three months in the summer of 2004. You know I lived with another family my senior year of high school. You might even know I almost had a sister. But if you know the story from the beginning you know a woman named Doris Slimick took care of me from the time I was six weeks old until the time I was six. She is essentially my third grandmother.

My Memaw went to be with the Lord a year ago today.

Doris went to be with the Lord last night.

I could rattle on about what a wonderful woman she is but most of my memories are from a five year old's point of view and wouldn't make much sense. Let me just say this:

The world needs more people like Doris Slimick.

Doris dedicated her life to caring for children. I was one of those kids. But it wasn't just me. At some point, she took care of nearly everyone I grew up with. Not only that, she cared for at least a hundred foster children. Maybe more.

Christ said the Kingdom of Heaven belonged to children. He used Doris to look after them until they got there.

She's also the reason I put peanut butter on my pancakes.

I think about her every time I eat them. Last night we had them in her honor and now she's the reason Lukas puts peanut butter on his pancakes.





let that be enough

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so sorry Scott. I met her about four times. She was a lovely lady.